Monday, July 18, 2011

Lakeville Bike Ride

Yesterday I took a 41.2 mile ride to Lakeville, MI. Quite the feat, considering it would be a scorching hot day in the low 90's; I had to go as early as possible to avoid the worst of it. I woke up at 5:00 and by quarter to 6:00 I was on my way. Even with leaving so early, it was already in the low/mid 80's by 8:00, with a good chunk of my ride still left. I did the whole ride in 3 hours, 4 minutes, about 13.4mph. (Put to shame when I tuned into the Tour de France later that morning)
This was probably about 5:50am or so, aside from a few strays ones, not a single car on the road. Sunday morning + very early in the morning=NO CARS!!!!
Riding across Clarkston Rd ended up giving some good photo ops as always, especially at a farm by Stony Creek Rd. (A little before 7am)
and here we have Lakeville, MI, a small town that consists of an intersection, and a couple of small roads along a lake. It's directly east of Oxford and directly north of Rochester.
and there I am, successful in the ride to Lakeville. This ride was notable because I passed 2,000 miles for the year on it. Even more notable, I've never rode my bike 2,000 miles in a calender year so quickly before, July 17th is the new record. So hats off to biking in 2011, there's still loads of summer to go!!!
and yes, there lake is even called Lakeville Lake.
For anyone curious, my bike is a 2008 Trek 7300, with charcoal black and dark blue colors. I got it in April '08, and added on clip pedals for it around May 2009. I absolutely love this bike, I'd get a road bike, but Oakland County (like most other counties in Michigan) is a mix of paved roads and dirt roads. Being a hybrid bike, the 7300 works perfectly for the job, great on either surface. This 7300 has been through about 7,000 miles, 6 flat tires, and many wear and tear events along the way. But it still rides great! I can't imagine myself owning any other bike.

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of the lake. So pretty!

    So this is my bet on how many miles you'll ride by the end of the year. I'm gonna bet 4k, double what you're at now, give or take 200 miles.

    ReplyDelete