Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Walking: A College Student's Favorite Sport

The "C+ House", one of several notable landmarks north of CMU's campus that I pass by on walks or bike rides
Yep, pretty much. We all know the day when you have a class at one end of campus, then have to bustle down to the other end for your next one. Throughout most of the year up at Central, I usually have my bike outside; with the snow, wet roads, etc. it’s been up in my room against the wall. Just like last year when it wasn’t even up at school, and neither was my car, I got accustomed to walking everywhere, and getting the occasional ride from someone who actually had a car. It’s always the same band jacket, scarf, and moose mitts that don’t match anything else; and I’m off from the north end of campus, usually walking half a mile to get to class. (For CMU locals, Robinson Hall to Moore/the Music Building is a trip I make daily) Compared to racing to class on bike in 3 minutes during good weather, I think I actually get better exercise when I walk and take 10 minutes.
I made sure to total up the miles I walked today, because it might have been the most I’ve walked in one day in a longgg time…
-1 mile-Walking to the radio station and back this morning
-0.8 miles- Walking to class and back
-3.2 miles- A walk up through Millpond Park and downtown Mount Pleasant
-1.7 miles- Walking to McGuirk Arena to see a women’s basketball game with Kappa Kappa Psi brothers, and back to my room
So today I walked 6.7 miles. I know for a fact that I have done that before, back at the Philmont Scout Ranch with Boy Scouts in summer 2006, in Colfax County, New Mexico. (One of the best trips I ever took) We probably walked at least that distance everyday while hiking there, one day might have even been 11 miles!
But of course, that was 2006. I certainly haven’t reached the 6-mile mark very often since that trip, one other rare occasion was on campus in fall 2010, which involved walking to the football stadium with a friend, at the far end of campus; especially far from Robinson.
I timed my longer walk today, getting back after an hour. So I guess my normal walking speed is around 3.2mph. On monday I speed-walked to the other end of campus, 0.91 miles in 12 minutes. So that's 4.55mph, not bad!
My first semester at CMU had many down times due to my light class load. On finals week I didn’t have my first final until Thursday, leaving me quite bored for the first 3 days, going on a pretty good walk every day. I have to say, the neighborhood north of campus is always nice to stroll through.

No comments:

Post a Comment