Thursday, October 6, 2011

2011-12 NHL Season Preview

So it's once again that time of the year where the NHL season is starting and I get excited. Unlike previous years, my life as a college sophomore has pretty much taken control of my mind, so the preseason & regular season have snuck up on me. I have a little whiteboard in my room, where last year I wrote down team records, and until October 7th, counted down the days until the Leafs' home opener on there as well, starting at 30 days or so. This year there's been none of that. It's already week 7 of classes and I can't believe it's already October. Time sure flies when you're busy/maybe having fun.
So now I feel obligated to make a 2011-12 NHL prediction, even without knowing how to weigh teams as well as I have in the past. ESPN sure put in their fair share of predictions, with their "experts" putting their hopes in teams like Vancouver, Washington, Chicago, San Jose, and Pittsburgh. (Surprised to not see much for the Bruins) If I had to pick a team to win the cup, well........I don't know. It's probably toughest for an "expert" to predict a Stanley Cup caliber team, scanning the entire 30-team league for ONE champion is obviously difficult. I honestly don't want to pick one this year, in fact, I won't!!! I like teams like Philadelphia, the Rangers with Brad Richards, and Los Angeles with Drew Doughty & Mike Richards. If Crosby gets back, then I think Pittsburgh could head to the Finals, and if San Jose gets their act together in the playoffs, they've got a great fight to put up in the Finals. But for the fun of it, I'll just say the Winnipeg Jets will win the 2012 Stanley Cup! That'd be nice.....
Living in Michigan I obviously know my Red Wings as well. It'll certainly be a different year, and very likely the last for the captain Nicklas Lidstrom. Holmstrom & Bertuzzi are also on their way out sooner or later, at the ripe ages of 36 and 38. I'm excited to see Conklin back in goal for the Wings, as well as seeing Commodore & Ian White (former Maple Leaf) sign on. It's just a question of will this Wings team still be able to play as a team, like they have for the past 5 seasons? Lots of new/young faces either from other teams, or from the AHL. Detroit regardless shouldn't have any problems making their 21st postseason, but when they meet a team like the Sharks in the 2nd round again, if it happens, they once again won't get any farther.
And ahhhh yes…the Toronto Maple Leafs. Ever since I’ve been a decent fan, (right after the lockout) the Leafs have never made the playoffs. That to me is the goal above all things for Toronto right now, get some playoff hockey back in the ACC! Just like the start of last season, Toronto has a good line-up and some things going for it. I’m excited to see Reimer as the primary starter, hopefully he’ll be just as strong as he was in his 20 wins from last season, a team record for a rookie goaltender. I’m looking forward to the addition of Connolly, Lombardi, Franson, Liles, and just in the last few days, David Steckel (even with him being the guy who hit Crosby on New Year’s Day, but whatever, I guess we can look forward to some good headshots…RIGHT?). The Leafs seemed a bit more beefed-up then previous years. Some new faces, but ones I already know will be great, Kessel, Grabovski, Kulemin, Phaneuf, Schenn, and MacArthur are all here. It should be a great season, and if things go well, I can see Toronto slipping into the playoffs with 7th or 8th place. You’ve gotta hope, but hey, last year I predicted the Leafs would finish 10th. They finished 10th. MAGIC I TELL YOU! Even with this “hope” of mine, I’m just excited to get the season underway again, I just love following Toronto regardless of their record, it’s another source of entertainment in my college life, which by January or February gets a little sparse. Hockey’s there to fill the void.
And to watch Orr & Rosehill pound guys into the ice, like so!!! Hopefully Orr will be back on the roster soon enough...

Either way, I’ll be tuned into the home opener against Montreal tonight at 7pm EST, cheering for the blue & white as usual. I’ll have my Sundin jersey on, and maybe my Kessel sweater over top of that. Depends on how cold it is outside when I walk to a meeting afterwards, and how the game’s going.
My Leafs Vintage Hockey sweater, which I got customized with a big "81" last fall. Definately worth the $14 per number, I had always wanted to do that to it!
Even in Mount Pleasant, MI, there's still Canadians floating around somewhere....I FOUND THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment