Friday, October 14, 2011

Modern Rock 91-5, where music begins

So it turns out I’m on the radio.

On Wednesday nights from 11-1, I’m on the air for WMHW Modern Rock 91.5, based out of CMU’s BCA department. I basically sit in the studio for two hours, take requests, select songs for airplay, and do talksets. My job on-air is basically the guy that comes in between songs and says something like:
“Modern Rock 91-5, where music begins. Hello again everyone, Justin here, playing all your favorite Modern Rock hits. Right now it’s (band name) with their song (name of song), on Modern Rock 91-5.”
And I’ll do that every ten minutes or so, and record it using an SD card. It’s not a paid position, (nor should it be, the computer hypothetically can run the show by itself, and does overnight) I’m just on there like several other jocks just to get the experience. So far it’s been very enjoyable, of course I have to give up my Wednesday night, but on Thursdays I have no class so I don’t mind at all. In the journey of my Broadcasting major, this is a great way to gain some experience on-air, and of course, it’s always fun to tell your friends you’re on the radio, and have them listen to you.
One thing that I can see shifting because of my time at 91.5 Wednesday nights, is my taste in music. For the past couple of years I’ve been a massive fan of bands from the 80’s, like OMD, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode; and some others. Although that was pretty much the only thing for a while, I’ve slowly ended up liking a lot more stuff once I started hearing it. So I guess being on-air's good for that too.
If you ever want to listen in, here's a link http://www.wmhw.org/modernrock/home.html
I'll be on there Wednesday nights until early December, when I go home at the end of the semester. Take a look!

1 comment:

  1. this is the first thing that pops up on google search for modern rock 91.5 ( :

    ReplyDelete