Sunday, November 6, 2011

Goodbye to Andy Rooney


Andy Rooney died Friday at 92 years old, just one month after his final spot on 60 Minutes. Though it was sad to see him sign off from television for a final time, it’s certainly devastating to know he has now officially left the face of the earth. A man with such unique remarks and topics for his portion of the show, I will never forget the inspiration that was Andy Rooney.

I don’t think I ever saw the connection between Andy Rooney and I until he was about to retire. I’ve always reveled in the opinions/careers of older men such as Rooney, Regis Philbin, Larry King, and I’ll even go as far to say my Grandpa, and his witty humor. Watching Andy Rooney’s portion of 60 Minutes, I felt sympathetic for the guy, but always got a kick out of it. His 2-3 minute spot would feature him complaining about something, and he never ran out of stuff to talk/complain about. I would sit at the kitchen table and impersonate his old, high-pitched voice, but yet have decent respect towards him. Whether it was girl-scout cookies, or the newspaper, Rooney was talking about it, even if the relevance of the topic didn’t even factor in. (There was even an episode where he highlighted a nasty email he received from a viewer of his show)

Here’s where I realize I can compare myself to Rooney. I had a You-tube show in high school that I called The Jinjo Show. (If you must, go check it out) It revolved around me occasionally answering questions from viewers, complaining about the Maple Leafs, and having a main topic that I complained about. I feel like if The Jinjo Show had ever made it to television in some way, shape or form, it would look like Andy Rooney’s spot on 60 minutes. I feel like I will basically be Andy Rooney when I’m 70+. I think I can live with that, actually if that’s what might happen, I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment