Thursday, November 3, 2011

Standing up for my subculture

The images of Northern Illinois' football team running through a Toledo pre-game show have me disgusted beyond belief. The fact that Jamaal Bass is only recieving a one-game suspension is ridiculous. I'm waiting for the article where it talks about the marching band member with the broken nose, suing Bass and winning. I've never been more pissed off at a football team than I am now. Not only did NIU show hardly any class when they came up to CMU on Oct. 1, now they blatantly run through a marching band.
I know that most people are saying that the "poor little marching band" is defenseless, and all the band members beg to differ from that...well, I beg to differ those who beg to differ. Besides a tuba, trombone, tenor sax, falto, etc; how does any band kid stand a chance against a charging 300 lb. football player? NIU running through the band is like stomping on flowers, you damage instruments, noses, legs...it's just something you don't do. It's certainly not the Cal vs. Stanford game, I mean the game hasn't even started. Is the game on the line? No...Plus, of all things, NIU was IN Toledo, on Rocket turf. I would understand the mindset of the NIU players if Toledo's band come to perform on the road and took too long, but IT'S NOT YOUR HOME FIELD!!! Come on NIU, have some class next time you head into an opposing team's stadium. There's a reason it says "GUEST" on the scoreboard, I certainly hope the University of Toledo's athletics department doesn't invite NIU back to play in the Glass Bowl any time soon. Michael Wilbon on PTI even said "What kind of tough guy are you to hit a guy in the band?" Tony Kornheiser's reaction to that made me sick....
And so there you have the rant of a fellow marching bander. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I'm in the process of joining Kappa Kappa Psi!!! I feel quite proud, and can't wait to become a full-fledged brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment